If you're turning 65 this year and ready to enroll in Medicare, you're probably asking yourself "What are the top Medicare Supplement plans for 2017?" There's so many important factors to consider when choosing a plan, that's why it's important to educate yourself prior to enrolling. Below, we'll provide you with a plan comparison of the top MedSupp policies.
Top Medicare Supplement Plans for 2017
Supplement plans are standardized in almost all states across the nation, providing the same benefits regardless of whom you purchase the plan from. The basic policy benefits are standardized by the government and must be included in all letter plans.
Basic Policy Benefits:
- Medicare limits the amount of days they’ll cover if you become hospitalized. All supplement policies will provide you hospital coverage for up to an additional 365 days after you’ve reached that limit.
- Medicare medical insurance, Part B, requires additional out of pocket costs such as copayments and coinsurance. All supplemental plans will cover these out of pocket costs.
- If you need blood for a medical procedure, Medicare won’t pay for the first 3 pints. All Med Supps will cover this cost that’s left up to beneficiary to pay.
- If you ever need hospice care, Medicare limits your coverage for outpatient drugs and inpatient respite care. Your supplemental Medicare insurance plan will cover these out of pocket costs.
- If you need additional tests that are not included under your Medicare Part B preventive services, you'll be responsible to pay the required 20% coinsurance. Your MedSupp plan will pay the coinsurance for you.
Original Post for What are the Top Medicare Supplement Plans for 2017 was published on MedicareFAQ